Sautéed Peppers & Feta Cheese Salad
The brightly colored sautéed peppers add marvelous texture and taste to an otherwise rather plain lettuce salad. You can use a lower-fat variety of feta (5%) with excellent results. Of course I did!
- 3–5 colored peppers, sliced into thin strips
- A few scallions, cut into long pieces
- Generous handful or two of roasted sunflower seeds
- Oil, for sautéing
- 1 16-oz (450-g) pkg shredded romaine, baby, or other lettuce of choice
- 4–5 oz (110–140 g) feta cheese
- 1–2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- 1–2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
Place dressing ingredients in a small container and shake well to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside. In a large skillet, heat 1–2 Tbsp oil. Sauté peppers until they are still crunchy. Add scallions and stir fry another minute. Add sunflower seeds and continue sautéing one more minute. Set aside. Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add sautéed peppers, scallions, and sunflower seeds. Pour dressing over all. Crumble feta cheese on top.
Note: For a tangier dressing, use 1⁄4 cup lemon juice or vinegar.
(Originally featured in Family Table, Issue 694)
Oops! We could not locate your form.