Food and Prop Styling by Chana Rivky Klein
Photography by Hudi Greenberger
So here’s what we’ve got: roasted eggplant for the chew, crumbly cheese for the creaminess, pickles for that bite, and Everything bagel spice for that zesty bagel flavor. Really, are you even missing the bagel? Of course you are. Toast it generously and have it on the side of this delicious salad.
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- olive oil, salt, and pepper, to taste
- 1½ Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 7-oz (200-g) pkg spring mix or lettuce of your choice
- 2 large dill pickles, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 scallions, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced into half-moons
- ⅔ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 jalapeño, diced (optional)
- 2 handfuls pretzel crisps, coarsely crushed
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp pareve milk (I used oat milk)
- 2½–3 Tbsp Everything bagel spice
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Sprinkle eggplant cubes with salt and let sit on the counter for 30 minutes. Wipe off excess water.
Place the eggplant on one side of a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and sesame seeds. Toss to coat.
On the other side of the baking sheet, place the red pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 20–30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Combine dressing ingredients in a small container and shake well to combine.
To assemble: Layer lettuce leaves in a bowl. Top with the fresh vegetables, roasted vegetables, and crumbled feta mixed with jalapeños, if desired. Add the crushed pretzel crisps. Toss with dressing and enjoy.
(Originally featured in Family Table, Issue 785)
Oops! We could not locate your form.