Crispy Potato and Tuna Tower| March 14, 2023
I developed this recipe around Chanukah time, so using latkes for the base was a no-brainer! Fried potatoes are always a win, especially combined with these great toppings for a stunning appetizer.
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh sushi-grade tuna, sliced thin and sprinkled with kosher salt half an hour before assembly
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 radishes, sliced paper thin (I used a mandoline), then salted half an hour before assembly
- 1 mango, julienned
- 8 Yukon gold potatoes, grated and squeezed dry with a dish towel
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 medium onion, grated
- neutral oil, for frying
- 2 avocadoes, mashed with
¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp Gefen Garlic Powder
- juice of ½ small lemon, or to taste
In a medium bowl, place the squeezed potatoes. Add the eggs, onion, and salt and mix well.
In a large frying pan, heat the oil. Form patties with the potato mixture and fry for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
Let the patties rest on a rack. (This prevents them from getting soggy.)
Prepare avocado mash, adjusting ingredients to your taste.
To assemble, spread some avocado on top of a potato round. Lay some tuna on top. Top with a few radish slices and then a mango slice.
It’s easier to slice the tuna when it’s partially frozen.
(Originally featured in Family Table, Issue 835)
Oops! We could not locate your form.