Prop and Food Styling by Goldie Stern
Photography by Felicia Perretti
Everyone and their mother has had a version of taco salad at some point. Making it dairy with some cheddar (if timing allows), and using the mashed avocado and salsa as the actual dressing, not only makes for easy prep, it also makes for a very satisfying and savory meal. Shout-out to Chavie P. for this great idea!
- 1 16-oz (450-g) bag chopped romaine lettuce
- ½–1 cup shredded white cabbage
- ½ cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 green jalapeño, sliced
- ⅔ cup yellow corn kernels
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese or cheddar cubes
- 1 avocado
- lemon juice, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 3 corn tacos, coarsely crushed
- ⅓ cup chunky salsa
- garlic mayo, for drizzling
In a bowl, place lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, jalapeño, corn, and cheddar cheese.
Mash avocado in a bowl with a drop of lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Top salad with crushed tacos, salsa, avocado, and a heavy drizzle of garlic mayo. Mix thoroughly. (The salsa, avocado, and garlic mayo will act as the dressing.)
(Originally featured in Family Table, Issue 796)
Oops! We could not locate your form.