Squash and Pear Soup
Recipe by Chaia Frishman
Usually when I develop a recipe idea, I can imagine how it will taste. I had no idea how this would pan out, but it was worth a shot. Squash, zucchini, and pears? Trust me, this one’s a keeper.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cups chunked green zucchini
- oil, for sautéing
- 3 cups chopped Bartlett pears
- 3 cups chunked butternut squash
- 1½ quarts vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ cup chunked sweet potato
- 1½ tsp salt
- ⅛–¼ tsp white pepper, depending on how peppery you like it
- ½–¾ tsp nutmeg
Heat oil for sautéing in a large pot. Add onions and zucchini and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the pears and sauté another 5 minutes. Keep an eye on the pot as you do this, since you want the fruit to caramelize, not burn. Add the butternut squash and sauté 2 more minutes. Pour in the stock, then add the sweet potato and spices.
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup.
(Originally featured in Family Table, Issue 727)
Oops! We could not locate your form.