| Recipes |
hot sticky apple buns with vanilla-cinnamon ice cream| September 9, 2020
Hot Sticky Apple Buns with Vanilla-Cinnamon Ice Cream
Nothing says “fall” like hot sticky buns. Add some apples and we’re in fall flavor heaven! I sometimes make these in individual baking cups and invert individual buns onto each dessert plate. Whether they’re served solo or as a family style pull-apart, everyone will enjoy them.
SERVES 12–14 DOUGH
- 1 tsp + 1⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 11⁄2 tsp yeast
- 2⁄3 cup pareve milk (any kind)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 13⁄4 cups flour
- 11⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine spread
- 3 Golden Delicious or Cortland apples, peeled and shredded
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup margarine spread (you can use butter-flavored)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp whipping cream
VANILLA-CINNAMON ICE CREAM
- 2 tubs of your favorite vanilla ice cream
- In the bowl of a mixer, dissolve 1 tsp sugar in 1⁄3 cup of warm water. Add yeast. Let proof for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining dough ingredients and mix until a dough forms. Continue mixing for an additional 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rise for about 11⁄2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the apple filling: Place margarine in a frying pan over low heat and melt. Add apples and cinnamon and cook, stirring often, for about 8 minutes, until lightly golden.
- For the caramel: In a small pot, melt margarine, then add brown sugar and water. Cook over low heat just until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add cream. Stir vigorously.
- Roll out the dough on a well-floured surface, until approximately 1-inch (3-cm) thick. Spread apple filling over dough. Roll up tightly, position the roll seam-side down, and cut into 12–14 pieces.
- Spread the caramel onto the bottom of a large Pyrex baking dish. Place buns swirl-side down onto the caramel. Cover and let rise for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 25–30 minutes.
- For the ice cream: Allow ice cream to soften slightly. Pour half of one tub into the bottom of a large container big enough to hold both tubs. Sprinkle with a thin layer of cinnamon and sugar. Add more ice cream. Sprinkle with another layer. Continue until it’s done, then freeze until ready to serve.
- To serve, gently heat buns, then invert (caramel side up) onto a rimmed serving dish. Serve alongside a scoop of vanilla-cinnamon ice cream.
SUGGESTION FR OM OUR FRIENDS AT KLEIN’S: USE KLEIN'S VANILLA NON-DAIRY ICE CREAM IN THIS RECIPE AND YOU’LL LOVE THE FLAVOR!
(Originally featured in Family Table, Issue 709)
Oops! We could not locate your form.
| No Food Left Behind |
| Side-by-Side |
| This Way That Way |
| Recipes |
| Recipes |