Finishing Touches| December 20, 2022
Text and styling by Esther Ottensoser
Photography by Leah Schuster
Still need that final game to end off the week?
How about a way to perk up your Chanukah suppers? Look no further — we’ve got it all!
Cookie cutters aren’t just for cookie dough. Add some “spin” to your soup by adding dreidel shapes!
Toasted Cheesy Dreidels
You will need:
- cheese (Raclette or mild cheddar), grated
- Cut bread into dreidel shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Sprinkle with cheese and toast.
- Place into a soup with a thicker consistency. Garnish as desired.
- Place oven-ready lasagna into a pan in a single layer. Cover with water and bake until soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Using a dreidel cookie cutter, cut out dreidels.
- Place pasta dreidels into a clear soup or one with a thick consistency. (For best results, don’t handle too much.) Garnish as desired.
- Peel a large carrot.
- Stand the carrot up on your cutting board. Carefully cut into long strips.
- Cut dreidels out with a cookie cutter or cut into squares and cut off the corners to shape a dreidel.
- Add the carrots to your soup at the end of the cooking process so they don’t get too soft and mushy.
- Cut dreidels out of thick slices of pastrami. (I asked my deli to cut the pastrami into ¼-inch slices.)
- Roast pastrami in the oven for a few minutes.
- Place into a soup with a thicker consistency.
The Disappearing Act
Add this new shtick to your Chanukah trivia questions. Contestants have to choose one of the two answers. The wrong answer will disappear. Read on to see how to create this magic!
You will need:
- index cards and pens
- Pilot FriXion erasable pens (available at Staples, Amazon, etc.)
Write a trivia question on each card, along with a correct answer and an incorrect answer. The question and the correct answer should be written with a regular pen, and the incorrect answer
with the FriXion pen. Try to use a regular pen that writes with the same look as the FriXion pen.
Directions for Playing:
- Divide the question cards between two teams.
- Each team circles the correct answers on their cards.
- Light the candle and have each team take turns checking their answers by (carefully) putting the card a few inches away from the candle. Watch as the wrong answer disappears!
Adult supervision required.
(Originally featured in Family Table, Issue 823)
Oops! We could not locate your form.