Honey-Glazed Stuffed Veal Pocket
A show-stopping main that will satisfy every palate.
- 1 5-lb (21⁄2-kg) veal breast pocket, bones attached
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 4-oz (110-g) pkg sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 log Meal Mart pastrami-stuffed kishke, defrosted RUB
- 1⁄2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1⁄3 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth, or 1 cup water + 1 tsp beef broth powder
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- Prepare the stuffing: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 7 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for an additional 5–7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper, soy sauce, and honey. When all the liquid is absorbed, add in the pastrami-stuffed kishke. Break up any large pieces and stir until completely combined.
- Allow mixture to cool and stuff inside the veal pocket. Place roast in a 9x13- inch (20x30-cm) baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over both the top and bottom of the roast.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour glaze over and around the roast.
- Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 31⁄2–4 hours. Remove pan from oven and baste the meat. Allow meat to rest 15 minutes before slicing.
(Originally featured in Family Table, Issue 709)
Oops! We could not locate your form.