In this issue, brilliant design minds come together to create mood boards and room schemes, delivering tips for those of us looking to elevate or renovate our bathrooms.
ur first house was one floor. Because of this, the duality of the main bathroom’s purpose could not be more incongruous: we wanted it to be an elevated bathroom for Shabbos or guests 20 percent of the time, and it needed to be a rubber-ducky-filled bathing space the remaining 80 percent.
To counter that issue, we came up with an ingenious idea that allowed us to divide the two, providing practicality and beauty all at once: the first part of the bathroom was a powder room, dramatic in black and nickel; and then a sliding door turned the other half into a space for kids, with ample real estate for their bath toys and a double vanity littered with pink electric toothbrushes.
Years later, my husband and I still conduct heated debates about whose idea this was. I distinctly remember coming up with the concept, sketched on a paper napkin, fibers ripping with my pencil and the ferocity that accompanies a creative idea. He, however, is certain it was space-planning brilliance on his end, and insists this no less than 46 times a year.
In this issue, brilliant design minds come together to create mood boards and room schemes, delivering tips for those of us looking to elevate or renovate our bathrooms. Their unique yet unified designs provide the right balance of escapist inspiration and practical execution, each with their own creative perspective. And hey — I think I could learn a thing or two about the harmony that results, or should result, from the imaginative process, don’t you?
Editor, Family Room
Smell takes a direct route to the most primitive brain centers, influencing memory and emotion, playing a powerful role in how we react and respond. Whether you’re in the process of a bathroom update or have no plans or desire to do so for the foreseeable future, playing around with scents has a way of bringing the spa to you.
Scentfinity’s diffuser systems or stand-alone machines work to create that ambiance in your own home — just like retails stores with their signature scent. Plug them into your HVAC and infuse your entire home with a soothing smell of your preference.
This continues to be the easiest shower upgrade I’ve done. Using fresh eucalyptus and twine, bundle the branches together and hang them from your shower rod or head. The steam of the shower releases the essential oils of the plant, which can clear congestion, reduce sinus inflammation, and prevent bronchial infections. Minor detail — it smells amazing.
Visit your local florist to purchase.
This prosecco-scented hand sanitizer makes staying clean feel elegant, an elevated gift-cum-necessity.
About a year ago, I started playing around with diffusers and essential oils, and I have no plans to stop. This restorative combination has blends of cleansing, minty-fresh, and herbal oils, formulated to get you back to feeling your best.
(Originally featured in Family Room, Issue 11)
Oops! We could not locate your form.